That’s right. I said it. Best hair gel ever.
A little presumptuous? Maybe. But as a DIY addict, I’ve tried a whole lot of hair gels (like this flaxseed one) and I’ve been most happy with this one. I’ll even go so far as to say that this works better than any hair gel I’ve ever gotten from the store. Even in comparison to this one I used to be in love (so of course it got discontinued!) with before my DIY-ing days.
This recipe is ridiculously easy and in all my years of DIY, I can’t believe I didn’t think of doing this before. I know that a recipe with just 2 ingredients has a tall order for calling it the best things ever…but I stand by what I said! As with all things DIY, I love that it can so easily been customized to have the hold that you want which is important for us curly-haired-folks.
- 3 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 1/2-1 teaspoon gelatin (the amount depends on the hold you want…I recommend starting low and adding as necessary)
- optional: whatever essential oils you want for scent. I did grapefruit because I love the smell!
- Put your aloe vera gel in a small glass jar.
- Slowly start adding your gelatin–a little at time–and stirring well to incorporate.
- This mixture will gel-up over the next 24 hours or so. You can actually use it before it’s done but it won’t have quite as much hold.
I’ve found (and Hayley from the PrimalPalate found the same thing!) that diffusing (I like on low heat because my hair is delicate and because I don’t use a lot of products to cover up damage) after using this gel works really well. If you’re looking for softer curls, the hold will scrunch out with air drying as well but diffusing makes it look really nice (even if you don’t diffuse long enough to let it completely dry).
Like this recipe? Follow my Pinterest Boards for more like this. And please use the social media buttons below to share this with your friends!