For the most part, my husband and I both enjoy eating a healthy, whole foods diet and have been for a couple years now. We both feel more satiated, enjoy our food more, and have higher energy levels throughout the day.
Recently, however, we’ve been tailoring our food choices more to our individual goals. I’ve been putting in a lot of thought and effort into working on my hormonal balance, while he’s been heading more towards the low carb whole foods route.
While this makes us feel better, it can make it a little difficult to prepare food that both of us can enjoy. And since food preparation can be a huge determinant in the level of success you have with an approach, we’ve been looking for ways to cook that help us both out without hindering our overall goals.
These Protein Almond Butter Fat Bombs were our solution to healthy snacking for high energy levels. For me, eating a good amount of quality fats that are balanced with protein is an super important part of my hormone balancing efforts…Megan of GingerNewtrition and I talk about these points (and related topics) at length in our upcoming Free Adrenal Health Training Video Series. For my husband, getting enough fat and protein throughout the day keeps him full and metabolically humming along in a way that really works with his current health state.
Even better is that these Protein Almond Butter Fat Bombs are incredibly easy to whip up and can last in your fridge for a really long time. They also beat the nutritional stuffing out of those artifical-tasting protien bars you can find at the store. Sounds like the best of all worlds to me!
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter (aka: manna)
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons grass fed whey protein powder (I used this one but I also really like this one by Mark Sisson)
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
- several tablespoons of shredded coconut (for dusting)
1. Combine your coconut butter, almond butter, coconut oil, and raw honey (if using) in a medium sized mixing bowl. If necessary, you might want to microwave the mixture for 15 seconds to make it easier to mix.
2. Once everything has been combined well, add in your grass fed whey protein powder to the mix. Stir well again.
3. Stick in the fridge for about 15 minutes to harden.
4. Use a small ice cream/melon scoop (or just a smooth tablespoon measuring up) to make small protein fat bomb balls.
5. Spread out several tablespoons of shredded coconut on a plate and then roll each protein ball in the coconut until they are evenly coated.
When my house is warm, I usually keep these protein almond butter fat bombs in the fridge until I’m ready to eat them. In the winter, they keep at room temperature pretty well.