If you’ve been following my blog recently, you’ll know that I’ve been on kind of an egg-free breakfast kick. My previous love was this Paleo Pumpkin Breakfast Mash (I like things mashed together, can you tell??)…but this new Breakfast Sausage and Cauliflower Mash is starting to sneak up in the rankings.
It’s definitely not because I have a thing against eggs. (In fact, if you’re worried about eating eggs from a heart health perspective, you should check out this book: Eat the Yolks.) While some people can’t eat eggs because of how their body reacts, my quest for delicious egg-free breakfasts mostly stems from the fact that I was a doofus and ate way too many of them when first going paleo!
But as most of you know, I’m an anesthesiology intern. This means that I wake up around 4 every day and spend the day running around to admit/discharge patients, put in orders, respond to rapid response calls, and talk with families…so you best believe that I treat breakfast like it’s absolutely the most important meal of the day.
I always, always, always try to get plenty of protein and a good mix of fat and carbohydrates to ensure that I can last until lunch time (and often until the later afternoon) when I get the chance to eat next. If I was still eating like I did pre-paleo, I’m pretty sure I never would have survived this year!
Long story short: this recipe fulfills all of those requirements. And bonus! It’s absolutely delicious.
Want more egg free recipes? Follow my Paleo/Primal Breakfasts (Light On Eggs) Board on Pinterest for loads of delicious, egg free recipes! (And while you’re at it, I’d love it if you would pin this one!)
- 1 pound ground pork (preferably pastured, if possible!)
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/4 onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon salt (I like Redmond Real Salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram
- dash black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fat of choice (coconut oil, ghee, butter, lard, etc)
1. Place a medium sized frying pan over medium-low heat.
2. Melt you tablespoon of chosen fat into the frying pan.
3. Add in your finely chopped onion and cook until opaque (about 3-4 minutes).
4. Add in your ground pork and stir it with the onions and the fat.
5. Add in the salt, sage, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, corriander, and marjoram. Stir well to combine all the spices with the pork.
6. Cook the pork, stirring often, until it has browned all over. This will normally take about 8 minutes, or so.
7. While the pork cooks, chop up your cauliflower head into large sections and grind them all up in a food processor. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a blender or chop it up very finely using a sharp knife.)
8. When the pork looks browned all over, add in your tablespoon of maple syrup and stir well to combine all the ingredients in the pan.
9. Add in your cauliflower and mix everything together well again.
10. Cook for another 5 minute, or until the cauliflower has become soft and the pork is cooked all the way through.
Love this recipe? Make sure to share it with your crew on Pinterest,Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram by using the social media buttons below!
Have questions about paleo, health in general, or all things DIY? Ask away on my Submit A Question form!