Yoga mats are intended to be a sanctuary of calm and restoration. Or sometimes they’re just supposed to be a great place to get your sweat on. And they usually are! But unfortunately, they also often kind of end up being a sanctuary for bacteria and grime. Or, alternatively, a place to spray with noxious cleaning solutions before standing on it with your bare feet. Not sounding pretty? I agree! Which is why I’m surprised it took me years to switch to an all natural cleaning spray for my beloved yoga mats. But since I have, I can say with absolute confidence that I’m never going back. The key was to find a solution that gets the mat clean enough without wearing it down.
Bonus note: this spray can actually be used as a multi-purpose cleaning solution! I’ve used it in the kitchen, in the bathroom, and on surfaces that get touched often, such as door knobs, keyboards, and railings.
- 2 1/4 cups distilled water (or water that has been boiled and then cooled)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 15 drops tea tree oil
1. Combine the water, vinegar, lemongrass essential oil, and tea tree oil into a glass spray bottle. (It’s best not to keep essential oils in a plastic container but quite honestly, I’m pretty sure it’s not going to kill you if you absolutely don’t have a glass bottle on hand.)
2. Shake really well before you use.
3. Spray onto your flat yoga mat and wipe thoroughly with a towel.
For every day use, I just mist the spray onto the yoga mat and then wipe off with a towel. But occasionally I’ll really clean the mat by liberally spraying the mat with this cleaning solution, scrubbing it down, and then hanging it out to dry for about 30 minutes.