I’ve looked into buying an all-natural, alcohol-free mouthwash at health food stores but I’m always floored by how much they cost. (I felt similarly about a high quality toothpaste.) Spending that much money makes sense for some products but doesn’t really apply in this case since mouthwash isn’t really a necessity in life…and is so very easy to make your own!
This recipe requires about 5 minutes of hands-on time (with some waiting time for it to cool) and you’ll have a wonderfully refreshing mouthwash that is absolutely all natural.
- 2 cups water, boiled
- 1 tablespoon peppermint leaves (can use 2 teabags instead)
- 1.5 teaspoons xylitol (can increase or decrease amount of xylitol based off of your tastes)
- 50 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil
1. Steep your peppermint leaves (or teabags) in your 2 cups of boiled water.
2. Mix in your xylitol and stir until it’s all dissolved. (You can taste it to see if it’s sweet enough for you.)
3. Let cool until room temperature.
4. Add in your peppermint essential oil and tea tree oil and stir.
5. Shake before using (each time!) and use like your would regular mouth wash.
I recommend using this mix within a week. If you’re not planning on going through it that fast, you can either store it in the fridge to increase the shelf life or just make a smaller batch.