I made a few homemade paleo staples this morning and this full-fat coconut milk was one of them. I know there are lots of recipes out there for versions of homemade coconut milk but I really wanted one that will end up being full-fat…mostly because it’s extra delicious but also extra nutritious!
I wanted to make a homemade coconut milk because we go through quite a bit of it and it really ends up being pretty expensive when I buy the brands that don’t have wonky additives or BPA in the can lining. This recipe costs me about a quarter a batch and I can be completely confident that there is nothing in here but pure coconutty goodness!
- 3/4-1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut flakes (amount depends on how “fatty” you want it)
- 1 cup very hot water
PS: don’t you just love recipes with 2 ingredients??
Other things you’ll need:
- jar for storage
- container with spout (optional)
1. Place your shredded coconut in a blender along with the just boiled water and blend on high for a good 3-5 minutes. In the end, it’ll look like this.
2. Place your cheesecloth over the container with spout (or just in your storage jar) like this:
3. Pour in the coconut mixture in the cheesecloth and let drain. Then squeeze the cheesecloth to get out all the extra fatty deliciousness.
4. Final result will look like this:
Refrigerate to preserve and use within a few days.