I love the versatility of zucchini. I’ve added it to salads, quiches, stir frys, and even desserts! In addition to its mild taste, it’s a very filling veggie and gives bread-like recipes some weight. It also has that fun green color that makes any recipe with zucchini look both healthy and fun (especially when you add some carrots, like in this recipe)!
-2 zucchini (leave skin on), shredded
-1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
-1 tablespoon coconut flour or 1 tbsp almond flour
-1tsp salt (I like Redmond Real Salt)
-pinch of ground pepper
-ghee or butter or coconut oil
1. Shred the zucchini and carrot. I used a hand shredder but you can use a food processor to make it extra fast. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, crack the 3 eggs and beat until mixed.
3. Add the coconut or almond flour and blend well.
4. Add salt and pepper.
5. Fold in zucchini and carrots and mix.
6. Heat oil of choice in medium frying pan over medium-low heat.
7. Plop a scoop of the mixture into the pan to make about a 3-4 inch fritter. If you make them much bigger, they won’t hold together well when you go to flip. (See that big one on the left? It didn’t make it for a pretty flipping!) I fit 2 at a time in my pan.
8. When they are holding up well enough to flip over (about 4-5 minutes), use a spatula to flip them.
9. When they are golden brown on the other side, flip them on a paper towel-covered plate so that the extra oil drips off and doesn’t make them soggy.
10. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
I sometimes make a double batch because I use them for a breakfast side, as a bun for burger patties, or just as a snack with Sunbutter. They hold up in the fridge and reheat easily in our toaster oven.